Sunday, January 27, 2013

Viaje a Córdoba

Yesterday (Saturday Jan 26) everyone on my program left at 8:30 on a bus to Córdoba to visit the mezquita/catedral that we've all learned about from our history and art textbooks throughout my high school and college life...its one of the more well known in Spain. I've seen tons of pictures; I've studied its architectural designs in AP Art History and the history of how it came to be in Span330. I've learned about the history of Córdoba, that it used to be the cultural center of Spain and really of all of Europe many centuries ago- a center for tolerance with an appreciation for knowledge and learning in the midst of strife elsewhere in the ancient world. Recognize the photo?



Well it looks similar to everything I've seen in textbooks, but this photo-- I took. It was a cool experience seeing for my own eyes something I've been tested on in the past. A little background info- Spain is a place that has been conquered and reconquered over and over throughout history. This place is a prime example of how different cultures have utilized and transformed the same building to fit its purposes; it's interesting because it's one of the only examples of original architecture dating back to the 8th century in tact alongside architecture all the way through the Renaissance period. More often than not, old structures got destroyed to build new, but somehow the city of Córdoba- although not as populous and buzzing as it was in ancient times as I image- remains today. 

Original 8th century Muslim architecture 

9th century architecture, replica of the Moors' style but in a basilica, Christian-style edition to the mosque

Original 8th century mosaic

Renaissance edition 16th century

Baroque influences 17th century

But what was even more interesting to me than the mezquita (mosque) was the city of Córdoba itself. When you arrive, you cross Roman bridge into the city where you are immediately surrounded by narrow, winding streets, small cafes with salmorejo as the first thing on every menu (Dad: this is the birthplace of salmorejo), flowers everywhere, and picture perfect views around every corner you turn.



en la calle de las flores...one of the most captured views of the city




at the Alcázar de Los Reyes Cristianos


view from the top of the tower of the alcazar




Even though it was absolutely freezing for most of the day, I have to be thankful that it wasn't raining. We've had rain the past couple days and it is actually miserable to walk around. We spent Friday afternoon watching Mary Kate and Ashley movies in bed because we didn't want to deal with the misty coldness that you just can't get away from once you set foot outside. Maybe it was the rain that got to me, or maybe I'm just making that my excuse, but the past week has gotten the better of me. I had a midterm (joke), but I don't think that was it either. I think the initial shock of everything new is beginning to wear off, so there's less to distract me. 

Mom sent me a letter and a bunch of pictures of me and family to show Cristina, and I think it let me get a little homesick. Certain comforts of home just aren't here, but I haven't quite found a niche to plug in to here that I can attach to and call "home" for here. It's just that transition period. Naturally I've been reverting to my old ways of trying to pack my schedule full of things, wake up early, be productive, get ahead, etc. etc. because that's what I know and am used to. When I slept until 12pm today I couldn't believe it. I just don't do that. So this weirdness of trying to find a schedule that doesn't quite fit the lifestyle here mixing with my resisting change has resulted in some homesickness and some unease. But I'm totally recognizing it, trying to accept it, and trying to make conscious decisions to move on. One goal I have is to not plan the next day. I always plan when I'm going to the gym the night before, what time I'm going to do homework, when I'll have time to go on errands I need to go on. No, not here. Tonight I'm going to go to sleep with the only thing planned for tomorrow is the time I need to wake up in the morning to make it to class on time (9:15ish, emphasis on the ish).

                                 
P.S: speaking of not planning things, I booked my spring break (#1) trip with Caroline and Kelsey today! Florence, London, Scotland, Ireland babyyy. It's set in stone in my agenda and I can't wait! This will be my good note to start the week on.

1 comment: