Sunday, June 23, 2013

Settling In

There's nothing quite like saying you're going to do something and actually getting it done. So for me, where procrastination is my own worst enemy, the last couple weeks have felt pretty good. I debated moving to Chapel Hill versus staying in Charlotte for a solid month, but when I was finally so sick of weighing the pros and cons of each scenario, I just made the decision to go ahead and move. This was back when I was in Spain. When I got home to Charlotte and had a week there to unpack, chill out, get myself together, and re-pack again for school, I worried that I made the wrong decision. The comforts of home are just so enticing! I love my bed. I love lounging on my couch. I love my yoga studio. I love it all because its what's so familiar to me. But now that I'm here and settled in to a summer life in Chapel Hill, I couldn't be more reaffirmed that it was the right choice. I'm learning so many things about how to live on my own, I have time to plan out some goals I want for the semester, I'm getting my foot in the door for opportunities I might want to consider as career options (or at least as activities I know I'll want to keep up for the rest of my life). And I just gotta say, it feels so good.

Case in point- my first cooking experience

I've cooked before, but its always been the case that I've found a cool recipe online or on Food Network, gone to the store to buy specifically those ingredients, and made it. And that was my one cooking stint of the week (or month). This time, I went to the grocery store to shop for the week, and with some of my purchases I put together this dinner, making lots of leftovers to last me a few more days. I know, I know, nothing crazy interesting and everyone in the world has to cook for themselves eventually, but hey- I'm learning here! And I'm still quite the amateur. How do I know this? I started a fire. When I was roasting my veggies, olive oil dripped from the cookie sheet down into the bottom of the oven and before I knew it, smoke was filling the kitchen and the alarm wouldn't stop ringing. I had a moment of panic, a minor freak-out, but in a matter of moments, I had gotten it under control Stephen calmed me down and showed me what to do. And now, lesson learned and I'll know what to do the next time I set something on fire! Hopefully it won't be a regular occurrence. The finished product: shredded sweet potatoes, roasted vegetables, and marinated chicken breasts over pesto linguine. Most recipes I found here.

The rest of my meals this week haven't been nearly as exciting, but I am getting the hang of getting home from work and even though I'm tired, taking the time to make a decent meal. Of course, there are things that have made it easier. Like having a roommate who is just in summer school and doesn't have a job, so she's got a lot of time on her hands, and one night this week I came home to her cooking homemade macaroni and cheese, breaded chicken, and bean salad for me. And also, overnight oats for breakfast have become a staple. 

In addition to meal-time festivities, finishing the configuration of the furniture in our house, decorating it with the random assortment of things we've all managed to grab from home, actually purchasing my bike and getting it up to Chapel Hill (thank you, mom!), I've successfully potted my herbs (thank you, dad!). It's the littlest of accomplishments, but I am so excited about them. I love having ideas and then seeing them come to life. Sometimes I forget that I can do anything I want to do. But when I remember it and really embrace it, its such a powerful feeling. I know this year will have its ups and downs, but I need to remember this feeling- the feeling that I am capable of so much, and I'm actually making it happen right now, so what's to stop me from keeping those positive vibes and actions going? My first goal of the semester is to take a new look at the world 'procrastination.' I see it as this ugly monster, that I always fall victim to. But maybe when this semester starts, I don't have to. Maybe I'll look at each task, break it down into smaller and smaller bits, actually reward myself for accomplishing even those small bits, and especially the bigger ones, and maybe, just maybe, my little battle with procrastination will slowly fade away.

Along with my new basil: parsley, dill, and oregano. What to plant next??




No comments:

Post a Comment