Saturday, January 19, 2013

I wish every day were Friday...


I think yesterday might have been my favorite day in Sevilla so far. It was our first Friday and MC and I had lunch plans with some mutual friends' of hers who live here. So from the beginning of the day I knew it would be great just because we were switching up our regular schedule of class, go back to wait for lunch, sit and eat for 2 hours, and the siesta because everything is closed for the next 3. It was so nice of Mary Carr to invite me to have lunch with them, and it turned out to be quite the experience.

We wrote Cristina a note that morning that we weren't going to be home for lunch, went to class (boring as all get-out), ran back home to drop off our  bookbags and then sevici-ed down to el centro to walk around. The family she knows through mutual friends lives right by the cathedral, its absolutely unreal. We shopped around and just enjoyed the Friday afternoon. I love Friday afternoons! Its like the weekend is still all ahead of you, but you don't have anything left to do before you can relax. I SO look forward to when we start classes in the university and I won't have class on Fridays anymore either.

The picture above is just a little sample of what we get to see whenever we bike around the city. I'm on the right, and I'm still taken aback after every street corner we round. 

I bought a shirt that said it was 19.99 euro, and i paid 19.99 euro so I'm guessing no sales tax? or its included? well whatever it is it was a happy little surprise, and I can't wait to go back because I'm still on the search for a hat to wear here. But we needed to meet this family at 3 at their house so after 1 1/2 hours or so of shopping, we walked the 2 minute from the cathedral to their doorstep. Crazy. They showed us around their beautiful home (they have 3 kids and have lived here for 2 years, moved from the States). We then went out to lunch, just to a tapas bar right below their house. It was one of the most enjoyable lunches I've ever had! We talked and ate course after course of tapas, delicious wine and desserts, I learned a lot about the history of Feria (one of our week-long spring breaks), the bull-fighting, and we got lots of great advice about places to check out while we're here. They're just a really cool couple and I felt so lucky to be able to join MC in the lunch. It was a refreshing break from speaking Spanish/trying to hang on to every sentence our senora is saying over a meal.

After sitting at lunch for 3 hours (it was actually 6:30 when we got up from the table) we biked back home just in time for a little siesta and then dinner. Haha. I talked to my mom for a good while which was great, just to be able to catch up some. Dinner was eggplant and fried egg in tomato sauce; it was good but I was still so full from lunch. 


Cristina loves taking pictures. She always acts surprised when we get out the camera, but then she immediately strikes a pose. Tonight after dinner she wanted to make music videos, so we showed her some American rap songs that have dances to match (aka the Wop, Wobble, you get the picture) and made our own version of the music video. She couldn't get enough of it. We'll take a video on MC's computer and then right after she wants to see it and see herself dance. I think its like being on TV for her or something, but it is a crack-up. So that past two nights we've danced in the kitchen, sometimes doing her Sevillan dances, sometimes teaching her American ones. She is quite the character, that one.


And then finally last night we biked (in the rain) to meet up with friends in our program who live across the river. We went to a bar and ended up staying for like 3 hours, which was nice to not have to walk around in the rain. Left to right- Tucker, Julia, Shoshanna, Stephen, Me, MC. 

Can't wait to go back to sleep now, that was all one day and I'm exhausted all over again re-thinking about it!--I woke up early this morning to talk to Stephen and thought about going to find a gym (its raining and I hate running on the sidewalks here. So crowded and uneven ground) but I might wait until my mid-morning siesta is over. Happy Saturday!


No comments:

Post a Comment