Thursday, January 10, 2013

How is it only day 2?


Today we met our señora y se llama Cristina! And she talked to us for a solid two hours before letting us unpack. She has 4 children (all over 30) and one still lives with her (normal in Spain I think). We haven't met her son that lives here though...he's a decorator? That's what I gathered from the conversation, but let's be honest I understood 1/3 of our talk. We ate lunch at 2- and by that I mean we sat down with food in front of us at 2 and then Cristina just kept talking and didn't touch her food for 20 minutes so we didn't know if we were allowed to eat either...we stared at the broccoli pasta enviously while trying to maintain the general idea of what she was saying. Finally we ate, and talked, and then kept talking at the table until 4ish. Then Mary Carr and I organized our muy muy pequeño room as best we could. Don't know how I'm gonna do Insanity in here... did I mention how cold the house is? When we walked outside for orientation at 5 it was at least 10 degrees warmer than in the apartment. Cristina brought us a little space heater for our room which was extremely sweet, but she told us to "just remember to turn it off when you sleep." She'd probably be appalled at how I sleep in Chapel Hill- with the giant space heater blasting at 87 degrees on my face. Looks like those sweatpants will definitely be worth the ample space they took up in my suitcase. 





After orientation we sat at the cafeteria outside the university and grabbed some snacks; MC had a soda de límon and I had what I thought was going to be an eclair, but what turned out to taste like a nutella-filled donut with sugar sprinkled on top. I loved it. So much. 


en la cafeteria

And dinner at 9 was the same as lunch (as in talking for forever before and after the actual act of eating). I could get used to that I think. I'm so used to eating in between the cracks of things I have to do, and usually eating while doing something else as well. It's nice to devote time to food and conversation, and I'm noticing that the Spanish value both very much. Things are centered around meal time and rest time, but its not all about either. So far no one seems to be in a rush. I haven't seen anyone power walking. There's a lot of PDA. There's a lot of orange trees. Oh and even though Cristina asked if we would like any fruit after lunch and dinner, when we discussed breakfast in the morning and I mentioned I usually eat fruit, she looked at me very strangely...guess they don't do that? Tostada con marmelada y cáfe every morning here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment