Sunday, February 24, 2013

My first visitors!


Good friends are all it takes to make a place feel like home. This weekend (even though their flight was delayed, knocking out Friday night for us) Caroline and Kelsey came to visit me! I took them everywhere I could think of around Sevilla; we probably walked for 12 hours on Saturday and 3 on Sunday before my voice gave out and their bus came to take them back to  the airport. I wish I had booked the same hostel as them for Saturday night so that I didn't have to take a cab home late at night, but it was just so good to have people with me that know me so well. The last time I saw Caroline was just before I left for the airport in Charlotte, and I hadn't seen Kelsey since I said goodbye to her from the ADPi house when Christmas break started. But as soon as we got together it was like no time had passed at all- except that we all had so much to talk about. I loved hearing about their time in Florence so far, and I absolutely cannot wait to visit them (and be the tourist) in a few weeks! We also took some down time yesterday to book our hostels in London, Edinburgh, and Dublin for our spring break trip that we will all be taking together! We were also able to cross some things off my Sevilla Bucket List (Triana food market and churros y chocolate at the Triana churros stand, Habanita vegetarian restaurant, climbing to the top of Las Setas, ordering cookies baked by nuns in a secret monastery). I also took them back to some places I'd already visited, and gave them my version of the historical tours (most likely only half right, but they got the picture). And luckily, the forecast for rain cleared up by mid-Saturday and we ended up having  great weather most of the time they were here. They just kept saying how great the weather was, how green Sevilla looked, how everything was just so happy and outdoorsy. I guess I knew that because I've been living in it, but I don't know anything different. It makes me truly appreciate this city- it's just big enough that you will always have something to do, but its not too developed (parks, and I mean lush, beautiful, clean parks everywhere) and its just small enough that you can almost be assured to run into someone you know if you're out wandering long enough. So thanks, Sevilla, for showing them a good time! I hope they enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed having them!

First stop (10am): Churros y Chocolate...the biggest I've seen yet

Stop #2: Triana market, probably doesn't compare to the Italian ones C and K are used to, but I just love me some fresh fruits and veggies. Can't wait to come here to buy the goods for a picnic to take the park on a warm day!

I found this vegetarian-option restaurant online and thought of C immediately; it seemed like it was right up her alley. We ordered portions of rice with mushrooms and almonds, wild mushroom croquettes, curry onion and raisin couscous, and bananas in tomato sauce to share. All surprisingly delicious and unique for a Spanish restaurant's menu. I'm just still in shock as to how we found it in the middle of the winding maze of streets of el centro. Guess it was meant to be!

We ran into Julia and Shoshanna's friend who is also studying in Florence this semester, and Mary Carr and her friend visiting from Paris (this was the weekend for visitors apparently) and we all decided to find a mysterious monastery where nuns sell baked goods to you via a secret turnstile. We had to ask at least 10 people if they knew which church it was, and those who didn't know looked at us like we were crazy when we asked "where's the church with all the nuns and the cookies?" but just when we figured we were on a wild goose chase, and that someone on the internet thought it would be funny to make up such a story about a Sevillan tradition, we found the place. You will be seeing me again, Real Monasterio de Santa Ines.

A little taste of Flamenco at La Carboneria again... it was twice as hard to find the second time around.

Early morning tour of El Alcázar

Little did we know our travel path directly coincided with a marathon....I guess Sevilla has those?

Took Kelsey to see the birds that land on your head, but they didn't really want to have anything to do with her. At least not compared to this girl....

An early lunch (by Spanish standards) with lentejas, espinacas con garbanzo, gazpacho, frutas, and bread por supuesto before K and C caught the bus!



And after the ominous skies cleared up, I was reminded why I love this place. I missed you sunshine Sevilla!

1 comment:

  1. Drinking hot tea in sweatshirt and sweatpants DREAMING of warm, lovely Seville. Can't wait to show you Florence! You were right--totally loved Saturday's lunch and bought the ingredients today to make that couscous dish.

    ReplyDelete