Tuesday, January 1, 2013

First day, first post





Hi there! I'm Maggie, and I'm entering the blogging world as a diary for myself. I'm also leaving in exactly one week for Sevilla to study abroad. While I'm all about leaving hectic schedules of undergrad life at UNC behind me for a semester, I want something to keep me grounded, and I've always wanted to try writing for fun, so I figure this seems like a pretty fitting outlet. If nothing else, I'll look back to it years from now and remember things that will have no doubt slipped through the cracks over time. And who knows, maybe I'll just keep this blogging thing up. 

Although, lets not call it blogging...maybe just fast/easily-saveable-journaling instead...I sort of hate technology and all things twitter/ pinterest/ facebook/ blogosphere/linkedin/ weebly(??)/ pitchengine/ instagram/ every other database that's been pushed on me as a public relations major of the Journalism School at Carolina. I appreciate much more simple things (tangible things)- being outside, exploring, bike riding, yoga, eating great food, experimental cooking, the beach, you get the picture. All this computer stuff and being connected to everyone ALL THE TIME doesn't do it for me. However, I guess its timely that its January 1st, 2013, and it can be my new year's resolution to keep up with this blog. 

I named this blog Finding Balance because that's really what my resolution is- to find more of a balance for myself between work and play, seriousness and lightheartedness, recognizing sadness and appreciating happiness, the line between determination and stress, doing what I love and doing what I have to do. I'm a dancer at my core but I have no outlet for it right now (seeing as Carolina has no dance program) so I make do with other ways to move. I'm a group fitness instructor for Campus Recreation and I practice yoga almost every day. These things physically do require balance, but mostly I want balance in my life. Don't we all? And we all try to find it, but it is damn hard. I work every day at it, through my yoga practice, when I'm deciding whether or not to eat that extra cookie after dinner (or lunch or breakfast), when I'm juggling spending time with family and friends before leaving for a six-month excursion abroad... basically balance is required in every aspect of life. It is a real goal of mine to find some more of it, so this is my blog- no, my diary. It fits perfectly that the reason I'm starting a diary for the first time ever in my life is to document my study abroad experience, but I think I'll want to share more than just where I'm traveling or what life in a foreign country is like. We'll just have to wait and see!

So keep up with me, or don't, but I hope to make this blog as rich as I think it can be, filled with things I'm finding in Sevilla, throughout Europe, within myself, about the world, and about life. Welcome to my little diary!

No comments:

Post a Comment